Surgical techniques for the treatment of tongue tie in children: a comparative study


  • Atishkumar Gujrathi Dr. Shankarrao Chavan Government Medical College, Nanded. Maharashtra, India
  • Vijayalaxmi Ambulgekar Dr. Shankarrao Chavan Government Medical College, Nanded. Maharashtra, India
  • Ashwini Handal Dr. Shankarrao Chavan Government Medical College, Nanded. Maharashtra, India



Ankyloglossia, Laser, Electro-cautery, Scalpel


Background: Ankyloglossia is another name for tongue tie which in mild form is characterized by mucous membrane bands to complete ankyloglossia whereby the tongue is tethered to the floor of the mouth. It can affect feeding, speech, and oral hygiene as well as have mechanical/social effects. Ankyloglossia can also prevent the tongue from contacting the anterior palate.

Methods: The study aimed to find out best possible surgical modality of frenectomy by comparing scalpel, electro-cautery and CO2 laser in the treatment of tongue tie. This is a prospective randomized clinical trial conducted in the department of ENT, Dr. Shankarrao Chavan Government Medical College, Nanded, Maharashtra. All patients were categorized in to three groups randomly as group A, group B and group C. Each group contains 18 patients and among group A, B and C, frenectomy was done by conventional scalpel technique, by bipolar cautery and CO2 laser respectively. Then patients were assessed on post op day 1 for symptomatology and inflammatory signs, on post op day 7 for wound healing and any complications and also after 1 month post-op for scar and contracture of wound.  

Results: In our study, about 61% of population is of male child and female child were remaining 39% (ratio 1.6:1) which is matching with the previous studies. Amongst all patients most common age group is between 1-4 years of age group. Most of the patients were in Kotlow’s class III having severe ankyloglossia (3‑7 mm) followed by class I having Mild ankyloglossia (12‑16 mm).

Conclusions: Laser and electro-cautery treatment used for frenectomy operations provides better patient perception in terms of postoperative pain and function than that obtained by the scalpel technique.


Messner AH, Lalakea ML. The effect of ankyloglossia on speech in children. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. 2012;127(6):539–45.

Horton CE, Crawford HH, Adamson JE, Ashbell TS. Tongue-tie. The Cleft palate journal. 1969;6:8–23.

Travis LE. Handbook of speech language pathology and audiology. New York, New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts Education Division Meredith Corporation; 1931.

Lalakea, Lauren M, Messner, Anna H. Ankyloglossia: The adolescent and adult perspective. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. 2003;128(5):746–52.

Friend GW, Harris EF, Mincer HH, Fong TL, Carruth KR. Oral anomalies in the neonate, by race and gender, in an urban setting. Pediatr Dent. 1990;12(3):157–61.

Heller J, Gabbay J, Hara OC, Heller M, Bradley JP. Improved ankyloglossia correction with four-flap Z-frenuloplasty. Ann Plast Surg. 2005;54(6):623–8.

Messner AH, Lalakea ML, Aby J, Macmahon J, Bair E. Ankyloglossia: incidence and associated feeding difficulties. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2000;126(1):36–9.

Kotlow LA. Ankyloglossia (Tongue tie): A Diagnostic and Treatment quandary. Quintessence Int. 1999;30:259-62.

Devishree SK, Gujjari SK, Shubhashini PV. Frenectomy: A review with the reports of surgical techniques. J Clin Diagn Res. 2012;6(9):1587–92.

Glenn AV. The diode laser as an electrosurgery replacement. C.E. article electrosurgery. 2013;6:13.

Liboon J, Funkhouser W, Terris DJ. A Comparison of Mucosal Incisions Made by Scalpel, CO2 Laser, Electrocautery and Constant-Voltage Electrocautery. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1997;116(3):379-85.

Sachin F, Mala D, Sandeep KP. Comparison between laser, Electrocautery and Scalpel in the treatment of drug induced Gingival overgrowth: A case report. IJSS. 2015;1(10):35-9.

Vescovi P, Corcione L, Meleti M, Merigo E, Fornaini C, Manfredi M. Nd:YAG laser versus traditional scalpel. A preliminary histological analysis of specimens from the human oral mucosa. Lasers Med Sci. 2010;25:685-91.

Zeinoun T, Nammour S, Dourov N, Aftimos G, Luomanen M. Myofibroblasts in healing laser excision wounds. Lasers Surg Med 2001;28:74-9.

Kara C. Evaluation of patient perceptions of frenectomy: A comparison of Nd: YAG laser and conventional techniques. Photomed Laser Surg. 2008;26:147‑52.

Haytac MC, Ozcelik O. Evaluation of patient perceptions after frenectomy operations: A comparison of carbon dioxide laser and scalpel techniques. J Periodontol. 2006;77:1815‑9.

Fisher SE, Frame JW, Browne RM, Tranter RM. A comparative histological study of wound healing following CO2 laser and conventional surgical excision of canine buccal mucosa. Arch Oral Biol. 1983;28:287-91.

Schuller DE. Use of the laser in the oral cavity. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 1990;23:31-42.






Original Research Articles