DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/issn.2454-5929.ijohns20190764

Nasal endoscopy: an excellent tool for the novice

Visweswara Rao Suraneni, Suneel Kudamala, Karishma Begum

Abstract


Background: Nasal endoscopy has revolutionized the ease of diagnosing nasal pathologies over the recent years. It offers the advantage of detailed examination of the intra-nasal architecture and precise identification of the pathology. It is cost effective and a useful adjunct for performing minor procedures in the office setting. Thus, nasal endoscopy has evolved as a tool with multiple roles of diagnosing the disease, planning of treatment and post treatment examination.

Methods: This is a prospective study conducted at a tertiary care hospital during a period of 2 years on 100 patients to evaluate the role of nasal endoscopy in diagnosing the disease and planning the management. 60 cases were managed conservatively depending on the initial finding on nasal endoscopy while the other 40 cases underwent surgery. Pre-treatment symptoms and post treatment outcomes were observed objectively on nasal endoscopy.  

Results: Majority of the patients (60%) were managed conservatively and were labeled as cured after enough evidence was obtained both subjectively from the patient and objectively as seen on endoscopy. The remainder of patients (40%) underwent surgery and follow up endoscopy was done in all of them.

Conclusions: Diagnostic nasal endoscopy is of immense help to the novice surgeon in understanding and managing various nasal pathologies. Through this study, it can be concluded that most of the nasal symptoms can be managed conservatively and surgery advised for absolute indication, with the help of nasal endoscopy.


Keywords


Diagnostic nasal endoscopy, Computed tomography, Functional endoscopic sinus surgery

Full Text:

PDF

References


Draf W. Endoscopy of the Paranasal sinuses. Newyork: Springer–Verlag; 1983: 24.

Messerklinger W. Endoscopy of the nose. Baltimore: Urban Schwarzenberg. 1978;1(1)100-1.

Govindaraj S, Adappa ND, Kennedy DW. Endoscopic sinus surgery: Evolution and technical innovations. J Laryngol Otol. 2010;124:242–50.

Chandra RK, Conley DB, Kern RC. Evolution of the endoscope and endoscopic sinus surgery. Otolaryngol Clin N Am. 2009;42:747–52.

Sheetal D, Devan PP, Manjunath P, Martin P, Satish Kumar K. CT pns - Do we really require before fess? J Clin Diagn Res. 2011;5:179-81.

Zojaji R, Mirzadeh M, Naghibi S. Comparative evaluation of preoperative CT scan and intraoperative endoscopic sinus surgery findings in patients with chronic rhinosinusitis. Iran J Radiol. 2008;5:77-82.

Sancheti P, Velankar HK, Setty YK, Mathew MS, Dabholkar YG. Diagnostic Nasal Endoscopy or CT Scan of Paranasal Sinuses: Which One First? Res J Ear Nose Throat. 2017;1(7):1-4.

Rafael JG, Rodrigo FV, Adriano BM, Henrique PDC, Joao JDS. Comparison between computed tomography scan and nasal endoscopy in diagnosis of chronic rhinosinusitis. Intl Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2007;11:402-5.

Kirtane MV. Functional endoscopic sinus surgery (A preliminary study). Indian J Otolaryngol. 1991;43:126-9.

Deosthale NV, Singh B, Khadakkar SP, Harkare VV, Dhoke PR, Dhote KS, et al. Effectiveness of Nasal Endoscopy and CT Scan of Nose and Paranasal Sinuses in Diagnosing Sino-Nasal Conditions. J Evol Med Dent Sci. 2014;3(14):3695-703.

Kumar S, Singh R, Singh M, Nag S. Nasal Endoscopic Findings in Allergic Rhinitis: A Prospective Study. IOSR J Dent Med Sci. 2014;13(5):45-8.

Mahesh babu MM, gowda B, Satish HS. Role of Rigid Nasal Endoscopy in the Diagnosis and Management of Epistaxis. J Dent Med Sci. 2014;13(3):40-5.

Sevil AY, Koksal YB, Fatih Y. A forgotten difficult entity: Ozaena Report of two cases. Eastern J Med. 2010;15:114.

Pullarat AN, Kottayil S, Raj G, Basheer NK. A comparative analysis of CT scan versus diagnostic nasal endoscopy in chronic rhino sinusitis. Int J Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2018;4:930-4.

Cristina M. Baldassari, Sukgi Choi.Assessing Adenoid Hypertrophy in Children: X-Ray or Nasal Endoscopy? Laryngoscope. 2014;124(7):1507-734.

Tegnoor MS, George JW, George W, Joshi R. Comparative study between diagnostic nasal endoscopy and computed tomography of PNS in sino nasal diseases. Int J Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017;3:972-8.

Singh R, Galagali JR , Santosh Kumar. A Large Rhinolith and Importance of Nasal Endoscopy: A Case Report. IOSR J Pharm Bio Sci. 2015;10(4):23-5.