Study of demography and clinical profile of extracranial complications of chronic suppurative otitis media
Keywords:Chronic suppurative otitis media, Demographics, Symptomatology, Ear discharge, Hearing loss, Extracranial complications
Background: The complications of chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) are still prevalent in the developing countries like India. They pose a great challenge in the management. The objective of the study was to study the demographic pattern, symptomatology and pattern of extracranial complications of CSOM.
Methods: Patients of both sexes presenting with extra cranial complications of chronic suppurative otitis media were included. A proforma drafted for the study of these patients was used. The patients were subjected to investigations to confirm the diagnosis.
Results: In our study of 25 cases of extra cranial complications of CSOM, there were 14 females and 11 males.8 cases were in the age range of 11-20 years. Of the 25 cases, 22 belonged to the low income group and 3 to mid income group. Most common symptoms at presentation were otorrhoea, hearing loss, ear ache, postaural swelling and postaural discharge. Most cases were from rural area. Regarding extracranial complications, 10 cases (40%) had subperiosteal abscess, 4 (16%) mastoid fistula, 2 (8%) acute mastoiditis, 3 (12%) labyrinthine fistula, 2 (8%) facial palsy alone and 3 (12%) had multiple extracranial complications (facial palsy with mastoid fistula). Total facial palsy cases were 5 (20%).
Conclusions: Most common age group affected were less than 20 yrs of age, females more affected than males, Low socio-economic group children were affected commonly. Ear discharge and ear pain were common presenting complaints. Subperiosteal abscess was most common extracranial complication followed by mastoid fistula, acute mastoiditis and facial palsy.
Dubey SP, Varqa L. Complications of chronic suppurative otitis media and their management. Laryngoscope. 2007;117:264-7.
Ludman H. Complications of suppurative otitis media. 6th ed. In: Scot- Browns Otolaryngology, Otology, Booth JB, ed. Oxford: Butterworth Heinemann. 1997;3:1-29.
Syms MJ, Luxford WM. Management of cholesteatoma: Status of the canal wall. Laryngoscpe. 2003;113:443-8.
Garap Jp, Dubey SP. Canal-down mastoidectomy: experience in 81 cases. Otol Neurotol. 2001;22:451-6.
Yaniv E, Pocock R. Complications of ear disease. Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci. 1988;13:357-61.
Hossain MM, Kundu SC, Haque MR, Shamsuzzaman AK, Khan MK, Halder KK. Extracranial complications of chronic suppurative otitis media. Mymensingh Med J. 2006;15:4-9.
Osma U, Cureoglu S, Hosoglu S. The complications of chronic otitis media: report of 93 cases. J Laryngol Otol. 2000;114:97-100.
Shamboul KM. An unusual prevalence of complications of chronic suppurative otitis media in young adults. J Laryngol Otol. 1992:106:874-7.
Browning GG. Aetiopathology of inflammatory conditions of the external and middle ear. 6th ed. Chapter 3. In: Scott –Brown’s Otolaryngology, Booth JB ed. Oxford: oxford University press 1997;3:1-37.
Kangsanarak J, Fooanant S, Ruckphaopunt K, Navacharoen N, Teotrakul S, extracranial and intracranial complications of suppurative otitis media. Report of 102 cases. J Laryngol Otol. 1993;107:999-1004.